On the topic of people defending bikini armor by saying that they’re distracting,
Does anyone really think about boobs when they’re in a place where their balls could be chopped off? Just asking, since I’m female and all.
I highly doubt it, but let’s ask the cishet male mod. So, wincenworks?
As a man who is attracted to women (which I think is the larger part of the issue), I would say the answer is: No.
I can say that with great certainty because I have:
- Attended numerous Dr Sketchy’s and similar art events where sexy models pose in very sexy outfits, and artists (many of them men) concentrate and draw them in short periods of time – somehow overcoming the distraction
- Been to at least one high speed car race where there were numerous cases of women flashing their breasts to the crowd and the racers – and not a single accident or near miss as a result
- Seen acrobats and aerial performer groups in titillating outfits perform stunts without getting distracted and injuring themselves
- Talked to multiple bouncers who have assured me that even when there is a performer doing a full blown strip show, it’s not that hard to keep your attention on your job
- Helped out a women’s self defence course (I was the fencing dummy) which covered a lot of techniques and tricks – not one of which involved using sexual traits for distraction.
It turns out, amazingly, that straight men as a group are capable of focus and basic self control when necessary! Shocking I know!
It’s also always baffling to me that the only “distractions” that supposedly generate this bonus are sexy bits on ladies. I mean, there are other things that’d keep me distracted with sheer puzzlement or shock for much longer.
Since there are apparently men who want to contradict this claim, making this argument with all seriousness – I’ve included five points to highlight just how stupid this claim is – beneath the cut.
Bringing this back as a master post of why arguing that skimpy “armor” provides distraction (and that it’s somehow more beneficial to a warrior than physical protection) is pure nonsense.
In short: it’s extremely insulting to pretty much every party involved.
Good companion piece to this article is the in-depth breakdown wincenworks later did on MatPat’s “Boobies in Dead or Alive Are a Legit Combat Strategy”* video.
*I may or may not be paraphrasing.