Let’s talk about Quiet, and attempt to answer the question:

Can you slut-shame a fictional character?

And in case anyone reading our blog still doubts whether or not Quiet (or any other woman in fiction) can be slut-shamed for her choice of attire or behavior, here’s Sursum Ursa’s concise video explanation.

Spoilers: the answer is no.


As a side note, since we’re on the topic of Quiet and sexualzing characters, I feel this is an appropriate point to touch on something related:

If your argument is the men are sexualized too, but you have to comb through all the individual games to try to get together enough material to try (unsucessfully I might add) to match how much Quiet is sexualized in ONE game – you’re not going to be very convincing.

There is a massive difference between depicting a character who is many different things throughout their arc (tough, vulnerable, protected, naked, etc) and happens to be sexy at some points and creating a character who is primarily and overwhelmingly sexy all throughout their arc and happens to get to be some other things during it.

One is creating a character who’s like a person so the audience can relate to them, the other is creating a sex object and calling them a character.

It’s kind of important.

– wincenworks

more about character agency on BABD

A whole year passed since we reblogged this video, yet people still completely unironically keep telling us that:


So yeah, bringing back this comprehensive debunk video is definitely in order.



Watch: This dad’s TED talk about female super heroes is so important

follow @this-is-life-actually

Christopher Bell: Bring on the female super heroes!

We want to give special props to Christopher for calling out both how high saturation media giants like Disney tend to promise representation but stop short of even a token presence and how society’s fixation with gendering media and traits hurts children of all genders.

As a preemptive response to those who claim he’s misrepresenting media in general or it’s just Disney, let’s use a recent video game that claims it’s doing better representation for women.

Here is all the Zarya merchandise Blizzard has in their online store that isn’t a generic Overwatch/group item or labelled as “Men’s”


I’d like to show you their Mei merchandise, but they don’t have any. At all.


– wincenworks

The 5 Most Ridiculously Sexist Superhero Costumes

The 5 Most Ridiculously Sexist Superhero Costumes




I am really struggling to write academically about this trend of developers making up bad excuses for not including women because what I really want to say is that it sucks and it’s adding insult to injury and could you please just be honest and say you don’t wanna.

Oh yeah, I’m sick of it too.  And it feels like it just keeps happening and it’s insulting to our intelligence.  Like

Ubisoft: We can’t have a female protagonist because they’re too hard to animate!

Logical Retort: What about all those female characters you already animated?


What they should have admitted: We didn’t want to make a woman protagonist.  


Konami: Quiet can’t wear clothes because she’s infected by a parasite that makes her breathe through her skin and she’d suffocate!

Logical Retort: Well then how come that other guy with the same parasite was covered head to toe?


What they should have admitted: We wanted her to be eye candy.


Bungie: Cortana is rendered without any clothes because it gives her a psychological advantage over her opponents!

Logical Retort: Then how come the “male” AIs are rendered with clothing?


What they should have admitted: We wanted her to be eye candy.


Nintendo: Link can’t be a woman because no one would relate to them!

Logical Retort: 48% of gamers would probably love to see a character like them.  And much of the other 52% may appreciate the novelty.


What they should have admitted: We really like making the exact same concept over and over.

Stop.  Your BS excuses are honestly almost more insulting than the truth.


First let us begin with a summary of many of the reblogs by individuals who have very predictable responses.


The basic arguments being spewed up are the usual suspects:

Basically all variants on the “I am threatened by examination of my hobby and would prefer we maintain a world where I am unfairly celebrated than move toward one where I am expected to recognize other people as human.”

Really there’s only two reasons we keep getting this trash:

  1. Developers who want to make out their personal fantasies and expect everyone to praise them unconditionally for it
  2. Creepy Marketing Guy convinces the stakeholders to follow an old myth that sounds appealing but, in reality, doesn’t work.

Obviously, neither of these is really a good explanation so instead of the honest truth we get the a worrying state on ongoing denial of both the problem and the consequences.

– wincenworks

More on rhetoric on BABD | BABD’s Rhetoric Bingo