While we addressed that this amazing article’s header image references the removal of Tracer’s “look at my butt” pose from Overwatch – I wanted to illustrate how it applies to any censorship vs creative freedom “controversy”, not just Overwatch.
- R. Mika’s butt slap reframing
- Skullgirls select panty shots edited-out
- Fatal Frame’s skimpy costumes replaced for the US release
- Divinity: Original Sin’s artist asked to “self-censor” a metal bikini, GamerGate makes him their martyr saint of creativity
- Mobius Final Fantasy’s dude protagonist having his skin covered… and that’s good? (because dude)
Similarly, the older article that features a pic of R. Mika, could apply to the Overwatch butt case as well.
Time to bring this back, since there is currently a new ruckus in the gaming world that isn’t related to bikini armor (at least yet).
Yes, after four games of white* guys going over to take over exotic locations, and one game that sort of did that in prehistory, Far Cry has created upset by going in a new direction. (tweet) Certain people are really, really unhappy about this.
Edit: * It has been pointed out by Will113 that the protagonist of Far Cry 4 was in fact Asian, though this is easily overlooked since you rarely see more than his hands and his voice actor was American.